Friday, May 20, 2011

Grunts from the Wordgrump

>Is pleonasm a cure for a literary ailment or a cool way to deliver charientisms?  Answer: it depends on whether you think the delivery of sly insults is enabled or hindered by verbosity.

>David Crystal writing in the introduction of Fowler's classic first edition of . . . Modern English Usage:  "I have encountered people who inveigh against the split infinitive, prepositions at the end of sentences, and opening a sentence with but--to take just three topics--and who cite Modern English Usage in their support, evidently unaware of Fowler's strong condemnation of their pedantry.

>If I ever use lol, multiple !!!!!!!!!!! marks, omg or similar abominations in this blog, I will forfeit my Wordgrump appellation.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fodder for the Wordgrump:

After a recent spate of back troubles, I posted that I was "happy to be ambulatory again" on my work message boards. This was taken to mean that I was on my way to the hospital. Well wishes on the coworkers' part were sent and not-entirely-quiet sighs on my part were had.

Keep fighting the good fight. For every bolt of lightning, there's 10 beaming idiots with a firefly in a jar.

 
At May 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM , Anonymous Michael Casey said...

Kudos to "Anonymous" for this sprightly comment. I am especially delighted by the image of "10 beaming idiots with a firefly in a jar."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home